Initiative will include feasibility study of Smart City OS in Mauritius
TOKYO; Aug. 22, 2021 – Accenture (NYSE: ACN) has been selected by the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) to support a group of digital transformation (DX) projects in six countries across Asia and Africa.
As Japan’s central governmental organization providing economic and social aid for developing nations, JICA is prioritizing the application of digital technologies to address development challenges. In June 2020, JICA established the Office for STI and DX in the Governance and Peacebuilding Department to leverage digital technologies in Japan’s international development operations to boost development impacts.
To further this movement, Accenture will support pilot programs in the six countries — Cambodia, India, Mauritius, Thailand, Uganda and Vietnam — through February 2022. JICA intends to then extend and develop the pilots into model projects for digital transformation mainstreaming in international cooperation and development.
The JICA pilot projects include:
- Cambodia ‒ digital currency verification;
- India ‒ a public-private platform to improve loan efficiency;
- Mauritius – feasibility study of smart city OS for disaster management;
- Thailand ‒ assessing the feasibility of using artificial intelligence for water pipeline management;
- Uganda ‒ using data integration and analysis for refugee support facilities; and
- Vietnam ‒ facilitating citizens’ behavioral change through predictive modeling of water quality.
Mikiya Saito, who leads the Office for STI and DX in the Governance and Peacebuilding Department at JICA, said, “The rapid development of digital technology is inspiring an increasing number of emerging countries to adopt new technologies and services to accelerate their development of industry and social services. JICA is committed to addressing a wide-range of development challenges around the world, and through this project, we hope to create a new model of cooperation leveraging digital technologies and data.”
Joichi Ebihara, who leads Accenture’s Strategy & Consulting group for the company’s healthcare and public service industry practices in Japan, said, “This collaboration with JICA on digital experience mainstreaming is a perfect fit for Accenture’s knowledge and experience in using digital technology to empower communities, public agencies, businesses. As a company dedicated to helping our clients deliver value to their clients and stakeholders, we are especially excited to help JICA prioritize digital capabilities when serving serious needs in other countries. This initiative marks an exciting new chapter in recognizing the power of ‘digital’ in economic development.”
* Smart City OS is a digital platform that serves as the foundation for data collaboration and service provision in smart cities. With Accenture’s Smart City OS, citizens can opt-in to provide their personal data to gain access to personalized services, and the government can use such data to shape policies and urban development. Accenture’s Smart City OS was first implemented in Aizu Wakamatsu City in Fukushima Prefecture in 2015 and has subsequently been introduced in several other municipalities. Among the wide range of smart city services on the Smart City OS is "My Hazard," which guides citizens to appropriate evacuation routes based on their location data at the time of a disaster. This project for JICA will be the first time that Accenture’s Smart City OS is being tested for implementation outside Japan.
Accenture is a global professional services company with leading capabilities in digital, cloud and security. Combining unmatched experience and specialized skills across more than 40 industries, we offer Strategy and Consulting, Interactive, Technology and Operations services—all powered by the world’s largest network of Advanced Technology and Intelligent Operations centers. Our 569,000 people deliver on the promise of technology and human ingenuity every day, serving clients in more than 120 countries. We embrace the power of change to create value and shared success for our clients, people, shareholders, partners and communities. Visit us at www.accenture.com.
+81 45 330 7157