Accenture and Commerce One Expand Strategic Alliance to Extend Benefits of Global B2B eCommerce
Joint Offering for Industry Vertical Marketplaces; Relationship to Accelerate Development of Commerce One's Global Practice
PLEASANTON, Calif. and NEW YORK -- July 20, 2000 - Commerce One, Inc. (Nasdaq: CMRC) and Accenture today announced that they had reached an agreement in principle to significantly expand the scope of their global strategic alliance, announced in February. The expanded relationship is expected to enable Accenture, Commerce One and their worldwide clients to capitalize on the opportunities and efficiencies of business-to-business (B2B) electronic commerce. Definitive agreements with respect to the alliance are expected to be executed during the third quarter of 2000.
The components of the alliance are anticipated to include:
- Commerce One and Accenture will focus on the rapid and mutual development of global exchange marketplaces in a variety of targeted industry vertical market segments;
- Accenture and Commerce One will put in place aligned organization structures to pursue mutual business opportunities;
- Accenture will license the Commerce One MarketSiteÃ” Portal Solution for Net Market Makers to enable the rapid development and operation of dot.com business across Accenture’s network of 24 global dot.com launch centres;
- Accenture will accelerate the training of a dedicated team of professionals to support Commerce One engagements globally
- The two companies will implement Commerce One Solution Centers in key geographies with a focus on sales support, resource development and client development;
- Accenture will dedicate multiple teams of professionals to the Commerce One Professional Services Organization, providing critical mass and scale in business development and customer support and helping Commerce One meet market demands in a global environment of sharply rising e-commerce activity; and
- Accenture will continue to work as Commerce One’s preferred partner for the design and development of integrated supply chain solutions.
"We are excited to significantly expand our relationship with Commerce One to rapidly take advantage of the marketplace momentum and help our clients realize the benefits of business to business e-commerce," said Matt Mosetick, partner, Accenture. "Together, we will be focused on aggressively developing a variety of key industry vertical markets."
Vertical industry offerings based on the Commerce One MarketSiteTM Portal Solution for Net Market Makers will be available in Accenture’s dot.com solution centres. These turnkey solutions will add to Accenture’s extensive capabilities for enabling the rapid development and operation of vertical marketplaces without disruption to business. As a hosted service, the MarketSiteTM Portal Solution for Net Market Makers requires little or no infrastructure investment and enables portal operators to focus on adding value to their communities by leveraging Commerce One’s trading platform services, including transaction management, catalog management and auction services.
"We believe that this alliance allows us to leverage Accenture’s channel power, consulting resources and execution capabilities to meet the global demand and specific market requirements for Commerce One’s products and services," said Chuck Donchess, executive vice president and chief strategy officer for Commerce One. "Accenture’s commitment to the development of the market and understanding of the strategic value of e-commerce in today’s global economy continue to make them a valuable partner for us."
About Commerce One
Commerce One (NASDAQ: CMRC) is the leader in global e-commerce solutions for business. Through its products, portals, and services, Commerce One creates access to worldwide markets, allowing anyone to buy from anyone, anytime, anywhere. The Commerce One Global Trading Webâ„¢ is the world’s largest business-to-business trading community. Comprised of many open e-marketplaces, the Global Trading WebTM provides unprecedented economies of scale for buying organizations, suppliers, and service providers worldwide. Commerce One is located in Pleasanton, Calif., and can be reached by phone at (800) 308-3838 or (925) 520-6000.
Commerce One, Many Markets. One Source., Global Trading Web, BuySite, MarketSite, Global Trading Platform, Common Business Library, XML Development Kit, XML Commerce Connector, MarketView, and SupplyOrder are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Commerce One, Inc. All other company, product, and brand names are trademarks of their respective owners.
The foregoing paragraphs include forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. These forward-looking statements include statements concerning the implementation of a global strategic alliance and the potential business benefits to be realized from such alliance. These statements are subject to risks and uncertainties. Actual results may differ materially from those described in such statements as a result of a number of factors. These factors include but are not limited to the risk that Commerce One and Accenture do not enter into definitive agreements with respect to this alliance, the ability of the parties to execute on their plans for the alliance and the extent of customer adoption and utilization of Commerce One’s products and solutions. For a discussion of these and other risk factors that could affect Commerce One’s business, see "Risk Factors" in Commerce One’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including its annual report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 1999 and its quarterly report on Form 10Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2000.
Jill E. Posnick
+1 (917) 452 4947