District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue Wins National Award for Outstanding Technology Application Developed with Assistance from Accenture
WASHINGTON, D.C.; May 21, 2002 – The District of Columbia Office of Tax and Revenue recently received the 2002 Federation of Tax Administrators (FTA) Award for Outstanding Technology Application for State Administrations. The award, designed to highlight advances in technology and customer service, recognizes the District’s integrated tax system, which was developed by Accenture as part of a three-year modernization initiative.
“The District’s ambitious effort has resulted in one of the best-equipped modern tax agencies in the United States,” said Harley T. Duncan, executive director of the FTA. “Our panel of judges chose the District’s project from a dozen agency submissions, praising the system for its use of sophisticated technology to improve tax administration and customer service.”
The integrated tax system expands self-service capabilities, opens new communication channels with taxpayers and improves the efficiency of existing processes. The citizen-centric system incorporates an Internet-based customer service center, an imaging system to improve data capture and document processing and an integrated tax administration system to coordinate taxpayer accounts. The solution also includes a contact tracking system to manage all taxpayer interaction, a decision support system to provide quick access to information used to support daily operations and a data warehouse to match taxpayer information across data sources.
“Prior to the integrated tax system, the Office of Tax and Revenue maintained multiple systems for the various tax types,” said Herbert Huff, deputy chief financial officer of the Office of Tax and Revenue. “Over the past three years, the transformation has been remarkable – we’ve moved from antiquated, disparate systems to an integrated, high-tech tax solution. We’re proud that the FTA recognized our efforts with this prestigious award.”
The District’s integrated tax system offers benefits for businesses and citizens alike. For instance,
- New businesses can register online for their tax and unemployment insurance responsibilities with the District.
- Registered businesses can view their account activity online as well as file and pay monthly sales and use and withholding taxes – in the last year, payments in excess of $25 million have passed through the system.
- A virtual customer service representative helps citizens navigate through the Office of Tax and Revenue’s web site, answering citizen questions online.
- Citizens can use the Internet to search for real property assessment information and outstanding tax liabilities – in the past month, the site received more than 600,000 hits.
- District taxpayers can file individual income taxes online, shortening the time to receive refunds to as little as three days.
- Customer service representatives use a customer relationship management application to record incoming letters, phone calls and walk-in traffic, enabling quick, accurate responses to taxpayer queries.
- The Office of Tax and Revenue validates and stores taxpayer financial information in a single database, providing accurate, efficient processing and a high degree of financial integrity.The Office of Tax and Revenue is able to reconcile their books on a monthly basis.
“The FTA award reflects the Office of Tax and Revenue’s commitment to customer service and efficiency,” said Tim Finnegan, an Accenture partner. “Accenture is pleased to team with the District to deliver this innovative solution, which provides better, more responsive service to District citizens and businesses.”
Accenture is the world’s leading management consulting and technology services organization. Through its network of businesses approach – in which the company enhances its consulting and outsourcing expertise through alliances, affiliated companies and other capabilities – Accenture delivers innovations that help clients across all industries quickly realize their visions. With more than 75,000 people in 47 countries, the company generated net revenues of $11.44 billion for the fiscal year ended August 31, 2001. Its home page is www.accenture.com.
+1 (703) 947 1838